Friday, December 26, 2014

Breastfeeding twins - the financials

You often hear proponents of breastfeeding assert that it is "free" - while the actual milk is free, the methods of extracting and storing it, particularly for working moms, can add up quickly. I've assembled a list of my estimated purchases to breastfeed twins through seven months.  This is not a "must have" list - just a list of what has worked for me up to this point.

1. $190. Breast pump - A necessity if returning to work or if you have inefficient nursers. I got my Pump In Style advanced on sale for $190. Here it is in use. It looks really gross, I know.

Side note - your insurance may cover a breast pump due to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. Because the ACA just requires coverage of a pump and does not specify what kind, your insurance may offer you a single hand pump, like mine did. I passed on that, although I've heard some people actually have better luck with hand pumps. 

2. $200. Second breast pump. After being back to work for two days, I decided there was no way I was transporting a pump back and forth every work day for the next 9 months. I found a PISA metro bag on Craigslist, still new in the box, and bought it for $200. This is my at home/travel pump because the "guts" of the pump are removable from the tote bag in a separate bag. I can leave it sitting on my nightstand or toss it in my suitcase for trips, and I don't have to transport my work pump back and forth. I never use the included tote bag. 

3. $12.99. (?) Cooler bag.  I pump approximately 30 oz during the work day - plus I store my pump parts in the cooler between pumping sessions. The small black cooler that comes with the pump just isn't a great option for me.

4.  Free -(well, paid through my hospital bill) the small 80mL containers (and extra tubing, flanges, etc) for the medela pump. Because I pumped in the hospital, I received like 8 of these - I use them frequently, as I only freeze BM in 6,8, and 10oz quantities - so I'll store the overflow in these to reach even quantities for other pumping sessions. It's also helpful to have the extra flanges, valves, etc so you aren't constantly washing parts. 

5. $12.99 - Munchkin high capacity drying rack. I hand wash my pump parts because we only run our dishwasher intermittently. This drying rack holds a TON of stuff in a relatively small area. Skip the boon grass. Seriously. 

6. $13.99. 100-count Lansinoh freezer bags. (Multiplied by 4). I pretty much freeze all my pumped milk each night, except for the odd bottle here and there, as daycare will prepare bottles and take milk frozen in any quantity. I bring in about 150oz frozen at a time. Note - I routinely put 10oz in these bags, even though the max measurement on the bag is 6 oz. In all the bags I have used for the past 4 months (about 18-20 a week, probably) I have had two leak. Not bad. 

7.  $35. Hands-free pumping bra. I know some people cut holes in an old sports bra, and when I forgot my hands free bra in a hotel room, I did that for a few days to get me by - but for working, I find the hands-free bra much more convenient. 

8.  Evenflo BPA-free 8 oz bottles - 12 pack. I bought two of these when I had to travel for work - I used one set to transport my pumped milk home, and I used the other set to store fresh milk in the fridge for DH, as I wasn't sure how many ounces the girls would take for feedings when they normally nursed. These bottles are compatible with the med.ela parts, so I usually use one of these for pumping, too, as I occasionally overflow the 5 oz bottle otherwise.

9.  AA batteries. The little battery pack is handy for pumping in the car in a pinch, or in an airport bathroom stall...

I'm sure I could think of other expenditures, but these are the things that have made being a working, occasionally traveling, nursing mom of twin infants easier. 


No comments:

Post a Comment