Monday, March 2, 2015

Unfinished projects

If you sift way, way back through my blog to the pre-kid days, I posted about a blanket I was making step-daughter, called the Babette blanket.  It is a beautiful pattern that I highly recommend, although I was lazy with switching yarn on my granny squares so I've had to do some remedial work on it and it isn't a blanket that can handle the wear and tear of everyday use because of the way I switched colors without tightly anchoring the yarn.  Lesson learned the (very) hard way after squares started to unravel.

In that post, I posted that I was probably going to make another, since I had to buy 17 skeins of yarn to complete the blanket.  I didn't make another, because it frankly was a really, really time-consuming blanket.  However,  I did have a large amount of leftover yarn that I was able to use to make crocheted blankets for SB and BW.  Neither of which is finished, and they are almost 2.  It's a good thing that I grossly overexaggerate the size that a baby blanket needs to be, because they will be able to use these blankets into their teens if they wish.  I have mostly finishing left on one blanket, and probably several more rows of crochet on the other.  one is a bubble pattern, that has the colors from step-daughter's blanket plus a few more, and the other is a wave pattern that uses 12 different colors.  I love them both and need to finish them so SB and BW can love them, too.

Now, I'm stuck a few months from nugget's arrival, and I haven't a start on a blanket.  Haven't even thought about a blanket, and don't really know what to do.  I think I may wait a few years, and start then.

Then there are the photos.  I wrote letters to SB and BW periodically through the first year, and I had grand plans to do photo memory books for them and incorporate the letters and other milestones.  I am 4 months into BW's book, haven't started SB's book, and SB and BW are quickly approaching 2.  We still don't have any, ANY framed pictures of SB and BW in our house, primarily because by the time I get around to printing pictures, it is months after the pictures were taken, and they feel out of date.  I don't know how other people do this.  Do they just survive on less sleep than me?  Should I be putting this stuff as a higher priority?  Do I just give up and try again in a few years?

I'm also feeling third-child guilt already because, in addition to not having any sort of baby blanket project in the works for nugget, I have taken like, 2 bump photos this pregnancy.  No weekly photos, no love for nugget-still-in-the-womb.  Don't get me wrong, I feel very bonded to her, I am excited for her arrival (although also terrified) but I have horrible pregnancy acne, and it's just work to remember to take the photos before I am comfortably ensconced in lounge pants and a huge t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment