Friday, January 3, 2014

Breastfeeding twins - the first six months

After two weeks, DH had to head back to work. We were also struggling with the time it took for the supplemental feeding with the syringe feedings. We had met with the lactation comsultant a few times and discussed paced bottle feeding, so we switched over to Tomm.y Tipp.ee bottles for supplementing. Because the girls had not been back up to birth weight at their one week appointment, we were also having to go in for periodic weight checks.  I also decided that I was going to feed the babies on demand, instead of on a schedule and supplement as necessary. The babies still stuck to about an every three hours schedule, but I would usually start the first nurser before the three-hour mark to avoid two very hungry babies at the same time, so the overall scheduling was fairly variable.

Because it took BW three weeks to get to one ounce over her birth weight and she was gaining slowly, I still had to set an alarm and not let the babies go more than three  hours nursing at night. This paid off, and around four weeks, BW suddenly figured nursing out. Her latch improved, she stopped falling asleep eating, and she was definitely getting adequate calories. This was a bit of a turning point for nursing. I stopped having to supplement, which freed up some time, nursing both babies was only taking about 45-60 minutes, and I got the all-clear from the doctor around 4.5 weeks to let them sleep as long as they wanted at night. (I stil remember the first time it only took an hour to feed and change both babies in the middle of the night. I was SO excited to get 2 consecutive hours of sleep).

Once we had nursing down, I started to try tandem again. I bought a twin nursing pillow, but my torso was too long for it to be effective - It was designed to be used with the football hold, and I ended up having to prop it up on my lap and still hold both babies' heads/upper bodies the entire time they were nursing. The only good thing about it was that it had a "lip" on the edge so I could balance a baby on the pillow while I lifted the next baby into position, but for the most part, I still needed DH's help. I then searched "tandem nursing" online to see if there were other options for positioning, and discovered a position that worked for me, which was to semi recline on the bed or couch and effecitvely lay a baby on each side and cradle them in each arm, with a pillow to support my arms. This was still pretty difficult when the babies didn't have good head control, and I only used it in a pinch when I had two babies who were hungry at the exact same time, but once the babies' head control and assisted sitting improved, this also became fairly routine. It also helped to have an overstuffed rocking recliner - I could recline a little bit, and use the overstuffed arms to balance the babes as I got them into position. The rocker recliner is a beast, not my first choice of decor, and dominates the baby room, but it was definitely a wise purchase.

Around 8 weeks, the babies started to sleep a longer stretch at night - and by 12 weeks, they were only waking once to nurse, around 3 am, which meant they were going about an 8-hour stretch. They also otherwise essentially reset themselves to the every-three-hours schedule that was originally started in the hospital. This was divine. My body adjusted quickly to the one night waking around the same time, I felt well-rested just in time to return to work, and I could pump around 10 at night to build my freezer stash. I joyfully told everyone that our babies were good sleepers, love it, so easy.... This lasted for about one month, and the babies went back to sleeping anywhere from 4-6 hours before their first waking. My body does NOT adjust to waking between 12 and 2 am. That must be some awkward place in my sleep cycle or something. Dreamfeeding doesn't help. But all in all, we were over the nursing hump and things were "easy"  

No comments:

Post a Comment