Saturday, January 4, 2014

Breastfeeding twins - six months and beyond

Once I returned to work, breastfeeding became a little more complicated because of time constraints, but is overall easier. I returned at 12 weeks, but I still have essentially the same schedule. The babies usually wake up between 6 and 7. If it's earlier than about 6:15, we try to get them back to sleep, or they turn into weepy puddles of tiredness around 7:45 am. I usually tandem nurse them at 7 am, unless they are unhappy with waiting. They then got 5 oz bottles at daycare at 9, 12, and 3. I pick them up around 5:15 from daycare, tandem nurse at 5:30, then tandem nurse them to sleep at bedtime (usually around 7 pm. I still nurse them separately in the middle of the night unless both are awake and fussing to eat at the same time. Since starting solids, they still nurse at 7 am, then have a fruit puree at daycare around 8:30, a 5 oz bottle at daycare at 9:30, 5 oz bottle at 12:30, and 4 oz bottle at 3:30, then tandem nurse at 5:30, veggie puree and other solids at 6 pm, then tandem nurse for bed between 6:45 and 7. Around 5 months their nursing time started to drop, first to around 15 minutes, then to 10, and they average about 6-8 minutes at a time now. I still need to tweak the feeding schedule, as I'm needing to continue to increase solids intake, and I thin they are consuming more than enough breast milk at daycare and not nursing enough at home. They are also reverse cycling to some extent, and are eating more at the middle of the night feeds than they do during the daytime nursing sessions - we're still at two nighttime nursing sessions, and occassionally three, Zombies. We are still Zombies. Although not ideal for mom and dad's rest (dad still gets up to help with babies in the middle of the night if necessary), BW has gone from the 30% for weight to the 75%, and SB went from 30% to 50%. Of course, they are both also in the upper 90th percentiles for length.

I'm still pumping at work, obviously, and I still pump every night around 10 pm. I loathe this 10 pm pumping session, but I am concerned about my supply/freezer stash dwindling, which is probably ridiculous, considering I have a 1000-ounce freezer stockpile, but I can't give it up yet - although I have started to skip it occasionally. Which I always regret when I'm engorged at about 1 am. I'm probably cut it out in another few weeks or so - I think when the babes get close to 9 months I'll be okay with dropping it.

No comments:

Post a Comment